Policy on Sports Safety:
The School District of Philadelphia’s Division of Athletics, Philadelphia Public League, Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association, Pennsylvania Department of Education and Pennsylvania Legislative Branch of Government, has enacted several child-safety protocols for the safety of our student-athletes and to provide information to parents/guardians and student-athletes concerning sports safety topics. The following are the requirements and steps taken at Rush Arts.
- Each Coach is a School District of Philadelphia Staff member who has completed their PA Criminal Record Check, Federal Child Abuse background clearance and FBI background clearance. These clearances must be kept on file at the district office.
- Each coach must complete their CPR, AED and Basic First Aid Certification through the Red Cross OR comparable agency every two years
- Each coach must complete the PIAA required courses of fundamentals in coaching AND sports safety/first aid.
- Each coach must complete YEARLY, online courses in concussion education, cardiac arrest education, preventing bullying & hazing, sportsmanship and beginning June 2019, a course on communicable disease prevention specifically, coaching during the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition, fall outdoor coaches (Soccer and Field Hockey), must complete a course in heat illness
- All certifications listed above must be uploaded into the PIAA coaches database portal, reviewed and approved.
- IN ADDITION: EACH Head Coach at Rush Arts has completed additional courses from NFHS learn that have given them a nationally recognized coaching certification in the sport(s) they coach AND, in June 2020, The Rush Arts coaches completed additional educational requirements that gave them National recognition as an HONOR ROLL SCHOOL for coaching education (level 3, 2nd in the nation!) .
Additional information :
The PIAA CIPPE forms contain relevant educational information concerning Cardiac Arrest, Concussions and Covid-19 Education for both student-athletes and parents/guardians
In addition, Please visit https://rushartsknights.org/student-athlete-education/ for additional education courses for student-athletes and parents/guardians